REGION 16 BYLAWS
ARTICLE I – Name
Pursuant to its Articles of Incorporation under the laws of the State of New Hampshire, the name of this organization shall be Region 16, Arabian Horse Association, Inc and shall be a non-profit corporation.
ARTICLE II – Objects and Purpose
The objects and purpose of Region 16, AHA are:
- Foster and encourage good relations between Member Organizations of Region 16;
- Promote and co-ordinate Arabian Horse Shows, Trail rides, and other competitions, throughout Region 16 and sponsor the holding of Arabian and Half-Arabian Regional Championships;
- Formulate publicity and educational programs and other activities in the interest of Arabian horse owners, clubs and enthusiasts;
- Promote, encourage and stimulate popular interest in the outstanding qualities of the Arabian Horse.
- Cooperate with the Arabian Horse Association (herein referred to as AHA) and adopt its objectives and purposes which are consistent with the By Laws and articles of incorporation of the region.
ARTICLE III – No Benefits To Members, Directors, or Officers
No part of the net earning of the corporation shall inure more to the benefit of or be distributed to its members, directors, officers or others, or to other private persons, except that the corporation shall be authorized and empowered to pay reasonable compensation for services rendered and to make payments and distributions in furtherance of the purpose set forth in Art II hereof. No substantial part of the activities of the corporation shall be participation in, or intervention in (including the publishing or distribution of statement), any political campaign of behalf of any candidate for public office. Upon dissolution of the corporation, the corporation shall pay or make provision for the payment of all liabilities of the corporation, dispose of the assets of the corporation exclusively to a successor organization or organization having like purpose and which is an exempt organization pursuant to Section 501C (5) of the IRS Code. The organizations to receive such property, and their respective shares and interested, shall be determined by the board of delegates.
ARTICLE IV – Membership
Section 1. Territory: Region 16 shall initially consist of the states of Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island and Vermont. The geographic territory shall change in accordance with any changes made by the AHA Board of Directors at the Annual AHA Membership Convention.
Section 2. Membership Organizations: The membership of Region 16 shall consist of all clubs and associations within the geographical limits of the region who are members in good standing of AHA. These organizations shall hereinafter be referred to as Member Organizations. The actions of AHA in granting or revoking membership in AHA to any Member Organization located within the geographic limits of Region 16 shall automatically grant or revoke membership in Region 16.
Section 3. Annual Dues: Each Member Organization shall pay to Region 16 annual dues) per member in good standing of the Member Organization as of the first day of July of each year. Such dues shall be payable on or before the first day of November each calendar year. The Board of Delegates shall set the amount of the dues. Dues shall not be prorated for any portion of a year. The Board of delegates of Region 16 may vote at the fall meeting not to collect these membership dues, if the financial condition of Region 16 is such as not to warrant collection of dues.
ARTICLE V – Board of Delegates
Section 1. Voting Delegates: The affairs of Region 16 shall be managed by a Board of Delegates. This Board shall consist of the Director who shall also be the Chairman, the Vice Director, the Treasurer, the Secretary, the immediate Past Director and the duly selected delegates from the Region 16 Member Organizations for the AHA Annual Membership Convention. The number of voting delegates from each Member Organization shall be the number of delegates allowed that Member Organization to the AHA Annual Membership Convention, determined by the official year, and the Immediate Past Director of Region 16. However, no Member Organization whose annual dues are in arrears more than 60 days shall be entitled to voting delegates.
Section 2. Alternate Delegates: An alternate delegate may substitute for a voting delegate at any meeting of the Board of Delegates provided he is on the certified list of alternates.
Section 3. Designation of Delegates and Alternates: Each Member Organization shall provide the Secretary of Region 16 and the Director of Region 16 with the names and addresses of it delegates and alternates to the AHA Annual Membership Convention and the name and address of the President of the Member Organization. This list must be mailed before Sept 1 (first) of each calendar year, and will be based upon the number of voting delegates allowed at the Annual AHA Membership convention, based upon the membership count at AHA on June 30th and will remain that number until June 30th of the following year. Any changes that occur from time to time should be reported to the Secretary and the Director of Region 16. The Member Organization Presidents shall reserve the right to substitute delegates. The method of substitution is to be determined by each Member Organization.
Section 4. Past Directors: Each past Regional and past At-Large Director will serve as a Voting Delegate-At-Large to the Annual Convention for a period following the expiration of his or her Directorship equal to the period served immediately prior to such expiration (provided such past Director is an Adult or Life Member in good standing). Past Regional Directors may vote on the Regional Board of Delegates for a period following the expiration of his or her Directorship equal to the period served immediately prior to such expiration (provided such past Director is an Adult or Life Member in good standing).
Section 5. An Executive Committee composed of the Officers (Director, Vice Director, Secretary, Treasurer) is empowered, between meetings of the Board of Delegates to handle all matters subject to the ratification by the Board of Delegates.
ARTICLE VI – Meetings
Section 1 Region 16 Meetings: There shall be a minimum of three meetings of the Region 16 Board of Delegates per year. These meetings shall be held as follows: at the AHA Annual Membership Convention, and during the Spring and Fall of each year.
Section 2 Special Meetings: Special meetings of the Board of Delegates may be held at any time or place upon call of the Region 16 Director or one-half plus one of the voting delegates.
Section 3 Notice of Meetings: Written notice of any meeting shall be given to all voting delegates at least 30 days prior to the meeting except at the meeting held during the AHA Annual Membership Convention, provided all voting delegates of Region 16 registered at the convention are given prior notice.
Section 4 Quorum: A quorum shall be one-third (1/3) of the voting Delegates/Alternates and two officers of the executive board must present in order to conduct business. At any meeting where a quorum is not present in person a ballot containing all issues voted upon at the meeting shall be mailed to all Delegates.
Section 5 Voting: The presiding officer shall not vote except in the case of a tie and in that case the presiding officer may cast the deciding vote, regardless of whether the presiding officer is a Voting Delegate. The Board of Delegates may take action, without a meeting by mail, telephone, e-mail, fax, or similar electronic communication, provided that:
1. No Delegate demands that an action not be taken without a meeting. That writing must be by mail or electronic communication, and shall include the Delegates signature. And
2. The number of affirmative votes for such action meets or exceeds the number that would be necessary to take action at a meeting at which the Delegates were present and voting.
3. The Secretary will record/file the actions taken by the Board of Delegates.
6. By Mail or Electronic Communication:.. The Board of Delegates may take action, provided that each voting delegate is notified at his last known address of the proposal to be acted upon, and a majority of the voting delegates indicates assent thereto. The absence of any response shall be considered a favorable vote.
7. Telephone Meetings: The Board of Delegates and members of any committee designated by the Board of Delegates may participate in a meeting of such board or committee by means of a conference telephone or similar communications equipment by means of which all persons participation in the meeting can hear each other, and participation in the meeting in such a manner shall constitute presence in person at such a meeting.
ARTICLE VII – Officers
Section 1. Officers: The officers of Region 16 shall consist of a Director, Vice Director, Secretary, Treasurer, and Immediate Past Director. It is not mandatory that officers be voting delegates.
Section 2. Elections: Officers shall be elected by the voting delegates of the Board of Delegates and will be elected from the Adult or Life members of affiliated clubs of Region 16. Elections shall be concluded not less than 90 days preceding the AHA Annual Membership Convention in the even numbered years. Terms of office shall be for approximately two years commencing at the end of the AHA Annual Membership Convention following their election and respective successors, (The majority of the voting delegates from) a Member Organization may nominate a candidate for office provided he is an adult or life member on the qualified membership list (as defined in the AHA By-Laws) of a Member Organization or a candidate may be nominated by an individual voting delegate from the floor of the annual spring meeting.
Section 3. Duties of the Director: The Director shall preside at all meetings of the Board of Delegates and shall manage and conduct the affairs and business of Region 16, subject to the limitation imposed by these By-Laws and the Board of Delegates. The Director shall be a member exofficio, with the right to vote on all committees except the nomination committee.
NEW: The Director may at any time assign additional duties to the Executive Committee as needed.
Section 4. Duties of the Vice-Director: The Vice Director shall assume the duties of the Director in the event of his absence or inability to act or at his request.
Section 5. Duties of the Secretary: The Secretary shall give notice of and attend all meetings of the Board of Delegates, keep the minutes of all meetings of the Board of Delegates, keep a record of all the doings of all committees, conduct all correspondence and carry out and execute all orders, all votes, and resolutions not otherwise committed, keep a list of all the members of the organization, maintain a list of names and addresses of all current Delegates of Region 16, notify Delegates of their appointments on committees, prepare under the direction of the Board of Delegates, an Annual Report of the transactions and conditions of Region 16, and generally devote his best interest to forwarding the business and advancing the interest of Region 16.
Section 6. Duties of the Treasurer: The treasurer shall handle the receipt, disbursement and safeguarding of all monies belonging to Region 16. The treasurer shall keep complete books of account and shall make an itemized statement and report to the Board of Delegates at each meeting and such interim reports as may be required by the Board of Delegates.
Section 7. Removal from Office. Any officer elected or appointed may be removed with cause at any time by the Director subject to the approval of ratification by the Board of Delegates at the next Regular meeting and with or without cause at any time by the Board of Delegates.
Section 8. Vacancies. If the Secretary’s or Treasurer’s office becomes vacant for any reason, the Director shall fill such vacancy or at the earliest convenience. If the Vice Directors office becomes vacant, the Director will call for a special election. Any officer so appointed or elected shall serve only until such time as the unexpired term of his predecessor shall have expired.
ARTICLE VIII – Committees
Section 1. Establishment of Committees: The Board of Delegates or the Director, may from time to time, provide for the appointment, membership and duties of such committees as may be necessary or desirable as interest warrant. Each committee may adopt rules for its own use not inconsistent with these By-Laws or with rules adopted by the Board of Delegates. The members of such committees shall hold office until appointment of their successors.
Section 2. Suggested Committees: The Director shall, subject to the approval of the Board of Delegates, appoint the following committees to consist of as many members as seems advisable: The members of such committees shall hold office until appointment of their successors.
|Achievement Awards||Amateur Activities||By Laws|
|Competitive Endurance Rides||Dressage||Education & Research|
|Half Arabian||Long Range Planning||Publicity|
|Racing||Regional Champ. Show||Regional Convention|
|Scholarship||Show Coordinator||Ways & Means|
Section 3. Miscellaneous: A majority of any committee shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business, unless any committee shall by majority vote of its entire membership decide otherwise.
ARTICLE IX – Fiscal Year
The Fiscal year of the corporation shall begin on the first day of January and end on the last day of December in each year.
ARTICLE X – PARLIAMENTARY AUTHORITY
The rules contained in the current edition of Robert’s Rules of Order, Newly Revised, shall govern the proceedings of Region 16 in all cases to which they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with these Bylaws. The Articles of Incorporation, or Resolutions adopted by the Annual Arabian Horse Association Conventions.
ARTICLE XI – AMENDMENTS OF THE BY-LAWS
These By-Laws may be enacted, amended or repealed by majority vote of all voting delegates authorized under Article V, section 1. This action may occur at a duly authorized meeting or by the provision of Article VI Section 5 of these Bylaws
Adopted effective January 1, 1977
Amended March 5, 1977
Amended October 1, 1994
Amended Jan 24, 2000
Amended Nov 18, 2004 (IAHA to AHA & membership year)
Nov 19, 2009
Amended March 4, 2018
Region 16 Standing Rules
(Updated March, 2017)
1. Region 16 Qualifying Shows, Show dates and protection policy:
a. Region 16 qualifying shows may be approved by the Director without Delegate approval provided there is no change from past history or date and hosting club or is not on the same date as another Region 16 show. If there is any changes the Director will bring it back to the Board of Delegates for approval.
b. Show dates for the following year will be reserved at the fall meeting. Each show/club will have first choice of the comparable date as protected by USEF with the normal rotation years taken into consideration.
c. If a club wants to have a show on a date reserved by another club/show, it must request permission from that club/show. Permission may be refused based on just cause (generally understood to mean that another show held would likely reduce attendance). If the requesting club believes this refusal of permission is unreasonable, it may appeal to the Region 16 Executive committee to overrule the refusal. If such an appeal is made, the Executive Committee must report the appeal, its decision and the reasons to the Region 16 Board of Delegates at the next regular meeting.
d. Approval of shows sponsored by non‐Region 16 organizations. The same policies apply as above.
e. Shows/clubs outside the geographical boundaries of Region 16 requesting approval to host a Region 16 qualifier are permitted with the approval of the Region 16 Director and the Regional
Director where the qualifier is held. (voted March, 2017)
f. Concurrent Shows in Region 16 will be allowed or approved by the Region 16 Director. (Delegate
vote March, 2017)
2. Budget Formulation all Allocation: The Executive and Internal Audit Committees will be responsible for preparing and presenting the budget each year for approval to the Board of Delegates. This should be done at the fall meeting and not any later than the Convention meeting for the following years budget..
a. The Executive Committee will determine allocation of Contingency, Donations, Emergency Horseman’s Funds and National Sponsorships budgeted line items not specified by the delegates.
b. Investment funds must be placed in a guaranteed interest account (i.e. Certificate of Deposit). The maturity date must be staggered by month and year.
3. The Region 16 Meetings dates will be determined at the AHA Convention meeting and be in a preferable central location to all Region 16 members. (Albany area). The preferable dates are the last week in March, the first week in October and the third at the AHA Convention. If a meeting location is not centrally located, then every effort will be made to make the following meeting location a comparable distance in the opposite direction. Meeting location or type may be changed due to weather or other circumstances as deemed appropriate by the Executive Committee.
4. Region 16 Board of Delegates Meeting Agendas Region 16 Board of Delegates Meeting Agendas will sent by mail or by other electronic communication to Region 16 delegates on record. Minutes of past meetings will be posted on the Region 16 member’s only web site.
5. Region 16 email news flash: Region 16 email news flash: Is available to all Region 16 events either put on by Region 16 member or Region 16 club (other than regular club meeting) providing it is open to the public. One Email blast per event will be sent free of charge. If a second blast is requested for that event there will be a fee payable to Region 16 prior to it being sent. The fee will be no less that the cost incurred by Region 16 for sending a blast.”
6. The Region 16 website:
a, Region 16 will list at no charge all Region 16 qualifying shows, dates and contacts. Prize lists and results in PDF format.
b. Region 16 clubs may post events at no charge (other than regular club meeting) on the web site provided they are open to the public.
c. Region 16 will publish links to club web sites at no charge or reciprocity.
d. Other events/pages/ads may be purchased and put on the website for 50.00 per event per page
e. Links, other than club sites, will be allowed at no charge on the Region 16 web site provided there is reciprocity.
f. All other request not listed above will be subject to approval of the Executive Committee.
7. Region 16 Championship Show:Will alternate between Syracuse NY and West Springfield, MA in July of each year. Dates in accordance with available dates at the facility, but the USEF protected date is the first choice.
Judges & contracts: Region 16 Championship show judge’s contracts must contain a clause forbidding the judge from judging any other show in Region 16 prior to the Championship show in the year of the contract (with the exception of Arabian Community Shows, all breed shows and fairs).
Show fees (stalls, entry fees, etc) are set by the delegates. Recommendations of any increase from the show committee must be approved by the delegates prior to the show and by the AHA Convention meeting the year prior to the show.
With input from the Show Committee and Manager, the Board of Delegates will determine the selection of classes to be offered and awards presented. Classes to be determined at the fall meeting but no later than the Convention meeting for the following year’s show.
Judges and officials, should be hired no later than eight (8) months in advance.
8. Delegate Convention reimbursement:
- Will be voted on at the budget meeting and after the Regional show when funds available are determined.
- If funds are available Region 16 will pay the Early Bird Registration Package only, provided the following conditions are met:
i. If The delegate has attended two (2) Region 16 meetings in the year the convention is held. This would include the Caucus meeting at convention. Alternate attendance would count provided the club compensates the delegate for attending the convention or regional meetings.
ii.The delegate is in attendance at all the General sessions to vote on the resolutions..
- Payment will be made at or immediately after the Convention in the following manner:i. If a club compensates the delegate for the convention package, the club will receive the payment. Clubs will be compensated for the number of delegates allowed and in attendance at convention as outlined in section 7.b.
ii. If the delegate pays his/her own convention package, the delegate will be compensated as outlined in 8.b.
9. Region 16 Scholarship Program:
Region 16 will sponsor a scholarship each year, subject to availability of funds. This program is open to all Region 16 members and is awarded based on competitive application on the basis of financial need, academics, leadership and Arabian Equine involvement. The amount is determined with the approval of the budget each year. The Director and a committee (appointed by the Director) will review all the applications and make the selection. The announcement and presentation of the winner will be at the Region 16 Championships each year and put on the Region 16 web site. Funds are sent directly to the institute of higher learning, not the individual recipient.
Adopted Nov 2009